Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Back!!

What's back?   Why, Downton Abby of course!!!
(Warning...this post contains spoilers.)

I tell you, after the weekend we had I was looking forward to nothing more than parking myself on the couch for two hours and escaping to 1920's England for awhile.

To give you a quick recap, when I woke up on Saturday morning I stepped downstairs to see Bill holding Madeleine in the kitchen, her crying, and blood.  She was wearing one of her Princess skirts, and must have tripped on the hem of it or something.  She fell and split the inside of her bottom lip wide open.  It seriously looked as wide as the Grand Canyon to me.  We thought for sure she would need stitches, so we headed to the ER.

Turns out, we might have slightly jumped the gun, as by the time we got there and settled in it had already started to close itself up.  The doctor checked her out and declared no stitches were needed.  Yay!  We were in and out in about an hour.  So, classic overprotective parenting on our part; but I figure better safe than sorry.  I would rather have gone and had it been nothing, then not have gone and had her lip be permanently scarred or something because we did nothing.   

Later that day we made the 2 hour drive to my parents' house for their annual "Little Christmas" party.  I got to catch up with some Aunts/Uncles/Cousins that I don't see very often.  We were back home by 8:30ish.  It was fun, but all that driving in one day takes a lot out of you.

As if this weren't enough craziness for one weekend, in the midst of all this I have been dealing with a pregnancy symptom I never had with Madeleine...round ligament pain.  Has anyone ever had this?  It's seriously a bitch.  The "round ligament" encircles the uterus; and you can, I guess, pull it like any other muscle. (That may not be exactly what happens, just my interpretation)  Anyway, I've had a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my body below my belly, but above my groin since Friday.  It varies anywhere from a dull ache to crippling pain where I can hardly walk, so yeah, that has been fun to deal with.  The best part...it could potentially last the remainder of my pregnancy!!

But back to Downton Abby.  Did you watch it?  I thought it was really good. Although I was quite surprised that Matthew and Mary got married in the first episode!!  I totally thought they would be engaged for awhile, and maybe end the season with their wedding. 
So, with that out of the way, it looks like this season will be focusing on whether Downton Abby will be saved or not.  The Earl has lost everything; while Matthew just inherited a fortune...a fortune he doesn't feel entitled to.  (I get his reasons, but I'm with Mary on this one...SAVE DOWNTON!) 
 
They showed scenes of Lady Edith in a wedding dress.  I didn't pay attention if that was scenes for next week, or just happening sometime during the season.  I predict she's going to marry the old guy, but he'll die shortly thereafter.
 
Lady Sybil is pregnant and her chauffeur turned journalist husband is finding it hard to fit into the household he once served.  Although, it seemed like he was making a bigger deal out of it than any of them were.  They all seemed very welcoming.
 
Not too much changed for the downstairs staff.  Anna is working on freeing Mr. Bates from prison.  Mrs. Hughes might have cancer (of the breast, I assume).  There's a new footman.  Other than that, it seemed very business as usual downstairs.
 
The best parts, as always, were Dame Maggie Smith's scenes.  Her character is hilarious, and seeing her going up against Shirley Maclaine was great.
 
I think my favorite part of the episode was the running joke around the men's jackets...tails or no tails; white tie or black.  It was so funny.
 
And speaking of clothes, I'm looking forward to seeing the ladies wardrobes transform as the 1920's progress.  The daytime wear for the ladies yesterday was very drab, but there were still lots of sparkle and beads on their evening dresses.  All of it was very shapeless though.  I would look horrible in those styles.
 
All in all, I thought it was a really great start to the season, and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it! 
 
Photo Source here

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Madeleine did not need stitches! I had round ligament pain when I was pregnant with Maggie - it is a bitch.

    I was excited for the return of Downton as well, although I thought last night's episode was a little slow. Lots of repeat themes - I was glad Matthew and Mary got hitched because when the whole money thing happened I was like "If they don't get married, I will not watch this show." (ok, slight exaggeration). Do you read the Tom & Lorenzo show recaps? If not, you should. They are awesome. I loved a lot of Maggie Smith's lines last night. I wish I would have written some of them down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved when she "mistook" her son for a waiter because he wasn't in his white tie and tails.

      Delete